PC-DMIS 2020 R1 is the latest release of Hexagon’s world-leading dimensional measurement software package for a multitude of metrology equipment types, from coordinate measuring machines (CMMs) to portable arms and scanners.
PC-DMIS 2020 R1The latest version of PC-DMIS continues to lead the way in revolutionising measurement. In this latest release, we have focused on delivering a number of features for users of portable arms and scanners, giving increased flexibility, performance and usability. Operators can now scan faster and smarter.
User experience and capability improvements for portable arm and scanning measurements include:
Guided Portable Execution – PC-DMIS will now guide the user through the measurement process, highlighting the measurement points with red dots, turning them green when the point is captured. The product graphic will scale and rotate automatically to give the best view.
- MSE User Defined Feature Widget Parameters – The user now has the flexibility to define their own parameters in the MSE feature widget prior to measurement, steamlining the process and saving time.
- Grid Mesh – The portable arm operator can now easily see areas which require more scan coverage by showing the point cloud data as a mesh display. The data can be reduced and stitched before the final mesh is created. The user can now select a pre-defined profile with one click from the portable scanning widget toolbar.
- Point Cloud Noise Reduction Filter – This new feature offers the operator the control to add a noise filter and adjust the level of the filter using a sliding bar. It automatically removes the points that outlie the global cloud, saving time and effort of deleting them manually.
- Point Cloud Laser Feature Extraction – Laser features can be quickly created and measured without any further operator interaction. The measured feature is now automatically extracted if a point cloud exists and it is aligned to the CAD model.
- Laser scan profiles – This offers a one click method to apply a set of real-time pre-configured laser scan settings. This saves the operator from having to manually change settings when scanning different types of parts.
- Laser 3D auto feature settings – This is a small tweak to make the operator’s life a little easier by reducing the need to edit laser auto features during or after measurement creation.
PC-DMIS is a highly flexible and widely-adopted metrology software. It comes as standard on all Hexagon’s Manufacturing Intelligence division’s measurement devices. It is also available as a retrofit package for most other measurement equipment manufacturers’ machines, allowing users of non-Hexagon equipment to take advantage of PC-DMIS technology.
Click on ‘Features & benefits’ to learn more about the other new features, capabilities and improvements that have been introduced in the 2020 R1 release.
Features & benefits
IMPROVED: Home Page V2
Home Page was introduced in version 2019 R2. It showed a new and more intuitive way for the user to manage and access their routines and also have useful links to resources, information and forums right on the PC-DMIS home screen.
In 2020 R1 this has been improved by the addition of measurement routine templates and example routines. Within the ‘Discover’ tab there are preloaded templates (best practice shared by our application engineers), or the user can create and share their own.
IMPROVED: Protect V2
IMPROVED: Protect V2 Protect was introduced in PC-DMIS 2019 R1. In the last year it has helped PC-DMIS users version control their measurement routines and add levels of traceability to their processes. In 2020 R1 this has been improved further with the addition of a new ‘Supervisor role’ who has the authority to certify or reject the measurement routine changes submitted by the programmer. This is useful for any company that follows a multi-level approval process.
And over 30 additional new features and improvements, including:
- Complete rack collision avoidance
- 1D Width Construction
- Rotation sphere in graphics window
- GD&T Selection from Capture – OCR Resolution improvement
- Excel form report improvements – inc. Ref ID support
PC-DMIS 2020 R1 operates under 64-bit Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista. No other operating systems are supported.
- When you use third-party drivers, you should contact your local Manufacturing Intelligence representative to ensure operating system compatibility.
- Running PC-DMIS inside a Virtual Machine (VM) is supported only if the VM supports OpenGL 3 or higher.
- PC-DMIS Vision machines do not support 64-bit Windows 8. The Matrox Frame grabber PC-DMIS Vision hardware component does not support a 64-bit operating system.
Microsoft .NET Framework
If you do not have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 for Windows, the PC-DMIS installer will install it for you.
4 GB of RAM or higher
- The size of the CAD data file and the tessellation multiplier value used affect the amount of memory needed. These both affect the number of tessellated facets needed to display the model. The smaller the tessellation multiplier value used, the more memory needed for the facets. For large CAD models, this could cause an "Out of Memory" error. If this occurs, the current PC-DMIS session will be left in an unstable state and should be terminated.
- The default tessellation multiplier value is 1.0. Setting a tessellation multiplier of 0.1 will result in a 10 to 20 percent increase in the memory required over the default value of 1.0. Decreasing the tessellation multiplier further to 0.01 will result in an additional 50 to 65 percent increase of memory required.
1 GB of video RAM
2 GHz or higher quad core processor
Any popular graphics card that meets or exceeds the following suggested minimums:
- GPU Memory 2 GB DDR3*
- Memory Bandwidth 29.0 GB/s
- CUDA Cores 384
- Open GL 3.0
*For an RS4 laser sensor or later model, you need to have a GPU with at least 4 GB DDR3.
The graphics driver must support OpenGL 3.0 or higher. A warning message appears on PC-DMIS start-up if the driver does not support OpenGL 3.0 or if your graphics driver is more than three years old.
2 GB of free hard drive space plus allocated virtual memory of eight times the largest CAD file used
SSD drive, HDD 10K, or two disks in RAID 0 mode (high-performance hard disk drive)
Screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 or higher
- Two Ethernet ports. This may be required for specific installations in consideration of local needs, including but not limited to CMM systems where one port is required for controller communications and another for intranet/internet communications.
- Two USB ports
- A properly-configured LMS license or a HASP key (a physical USB portlock)
Note: A HASP key does not act as general-purpose data storage; therefore, you cannot use a HASP key to store (download) arbitrary data from a computer. Similarly, you cannot use a HASP key to put (upload) arbitrary data on a computer. Also, only Hexagon applications can read or write to a HASP key; other applications do not have this capability. As a result, you cannot use a HASP key to load and unload data to and from a computer.
Internet Explorer 10 or later
Hexagon used the Sophos anti-virus tool to test PC-DMIS 2020 R1. The user will need to confirm the performance of any other anti-virus tool.
Solutions for CMMs using RS-232 communications
If you are installing PC-DMIS 2020 R1 on a new or existing computer, but you have an older CMM model that uses RS-232 communications, then you will need to install one of these solutions on your computer:
- An external RS-232 serial-to-USB adapter cable plus the serial-to-USB adapter cable driver
- An internal serial adapter card with serial ports