Linear structural analysis with MSC Nastran and Patran
This seminar introduces basic finite element analysis techniques for linear static, normal modes, and buckling analysis of structures using MSC Nastran and Patran. MSC Nastran data structure, the element library, modelling practices, model validation, and guidelines for efficient solutions are discussed and illustrated with examples and workshops. Patran will be an integral part of the examples and workshops and will be used to generate and verify illustrative MSC Nastran models, manage analysis submission requests, and visualise results. This seminar (or NAS101) provides the foundation required for intermediate and advanced MSC Nastran applications.
- Introduction to finite element theory and finite element modelling
- Anatomy of the MSC Nastran input file
- Model generation and verification using Patran
- Creating geometric representation of structure
- Defining material and element properties
- Constraining the model
- Loading the model
- Meshing the model
- Model verification
- Generating and submitting a ready-to run MSC Nastran input file
- Linear static analysis
- Normal modes analysis
- Buckling analysis
- Importing an existing MSC Nastran input file into Patran
- MSC Nastran output files and their interpretation
- Results visualisation using Patran
- Model debugging tools and recommendations
- Tips for solving large problems
A basic knowledge of statics and strength of materials is highly recommended.
No previous finite element analysis experience is required.
Tel: +44 (0)1276 903120